Roasted Butternut Squash & Carrot Soup
This is the best Butternut Squash Carrot Soup you'll ever try! Made completely plant-based with roasted vegetables, simple ingredients, and even simpler instructions, this recipe is almost too good to be true.
- 2 lbs butternut squash cubed into 1-2" pieces
- 1 lb carrots sliced into 1-2" pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped into 1-2" pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger fresh, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium apple peeled, cored, cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup coconut milk*
- pepitas optional garnish, see notes for roasting instructions
Preheat the oven to 375F. Toss the butternut squash, carrots, and onion with 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place the veggies on a large baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes, or until the edges of the vegetables have browned and the squash is fork-tender.
Heat a large pot on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, garlic, and ginger. Sauté for 1 minute, or until lightly browned and fragrant.
Add the vegetable broth, roasted vegetables, cumin, and apple to the pot. Stir everything together and let the mixture come to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pot with a lid, and cook for 10 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
Remove the pot from the heat. Working slowly and very carefully, use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it's completely smooth.**
Serve drizzled with coconut milk and roasted pepitas.
*Make sure you get coconut milk or coconut cream in a can, not the milk-substitute style coconut milk in a carton.
**If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender. Work in batches if needed, and pulse the soup until it's completely smooth. Be extremely careful as the soup will be very hot.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Toss ~1/2 cup pumpkin seeds with 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 - 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp olive oil, and salt to taste.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the seeds in an even layer. Roast for 10 minutes, or until crisp and crackling.
Calories: 212kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 1077mg | Potassium: 881mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 29052IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 2mg